How to make your own game for free is my first post with regards to my 6-month journey. Today is the start point of my daily journal, 24th of February 2017, which means I should have a working and published game by August 24th, 2017.
How to make your own game for free
I am a one-person team and will be doing everything from coding to creating 3d models. There is not that much animation in my game idea, so that will save me some time. I am technically minded and do have coding experience. I do not have experience in creating games. Making my own game is a learning experience for me, and I intend to get something out of this six-month journey.
The plan of action for me is to use the following free software, and training sites:
- Unity3d – Game engine (Free and paid versions available). The free version is fully functional. Unity3d works well with iOS and Andriod, so it’s perfect if you want to make your game app.
- Blender – Software for creating 3d models, animation, etc. (100% free)
- Pluralsight – Training site, free 3-month trial, full access training, check home page, http://gametoolkits.com/, on how to get the trial.
- Visual Studio – Used in conjunction with Pluralsight. Visual Studio is critical for the free 3-month trial mentioned above. Once again, check the home page for more details – http://gametoolkits.com/.
- YouTube – There is some fantastic training video on YouTube, specifically for Blender model creation and animation. Just search for something like “Create Blender Character”.
I will attempt to go through at least one hour worth of training a day through PluralSight, YouTube and free tutorials at Unity3d. That should equate to at least 1800 hours on learning how to make your own game for iOS and Android. I will at some stage (Once I have enough knowledge) add some more hours so I can start developing my game. At the end of March, I believe I would start this. I am not sure how much development time I will be adding, I will have to wait and see.
Make Your Own Game
My logical thought process on how to build a game starts with thinking about what type of game you would enjoy creating. What game would you like to play? It’s best to keep in mind that your first version should be relatively straightforward. The last thing you need is to get discouraged or overwhelmed when faced with issues.
With the above in mind, I have thought of a few games that I would like to create. I have chopped and changed ideas on which one is the best, and now I have made a decision. My first game is going to be a combination word game with a space shooter element. I can not go into more details than that, and you will just have to wait at least six months before I am comfortable revealing more.
How To Design A Game
I, once again, do not have experience in this, so once I learn something new I will come back here and add the information I have acquired. The most important thing about designing a game is to put your basic game plan on “paper”. I have asked myself such questions as:
- What is the purpose of the game?
- Will the game have levels?
- What assets (3d models) will the game have?
- How does the game end?
- How will my game earn income? Ads, paid app?
I have answered the above questions as best I can, and will revise them periodically to make changes as needed. I will be using the rest of February 2017, to refine my answers, after which I will start my training adventure.
Come back and check on my progress as this site is as much for me as it is for you, and I specifically need it to help motivate me. It would be awesome if some of my readers would join me so that you can make your own game by following my progress.